About the Colonie Police Department
The Colonie Police Department is a New York State accredited, full-service police agency serving the Town of Colonie, New York.
The Colonie Police Department was formed by a Town Board resolution on January 2, 1934. This resolution authorized the Police Department to hire a Chief and two Patrolmen - total budget $2500.00.
The first official police vehicle was purchased in 1939 for $702.00. Since there were no radios, officers had to drive by Town Hall to check for calls. A light on the outside of the building would indicate that officers should come in to receive the call information.
Part-time officers began to cover the night shift in 1947. In 1955 Colonie officers gave up britches, leather boots and jackets for a police uniform more like we see today.
Today there are 109 sworn officers and approximately 55 support personnel and over 60 vehicles in the police fleet. The Police Department's annual budget is approximately 9 million dollars per year compared to the original budget of $2500. A state of the art E-911 communication center with computer-aided dispatch has replaced the light outside of the old Town Hall. Officers no longer work out of Town Hall. They have a modern Public Safety Center located at 312 Wolf Rd. which houses Police, EMS and Justice Court.
The mission of the Colonie Police Department is to interact with all citizens with dignity, honor and respect; to preserve life; to protect and maintain human and constitutional rights; to protect property; and to promote individual responsibility and community commitment to high quality standards of living.
The Colonie Police Department will perform this mission in partnership with the community it serves. The Police Department will foster and promote mutual education, respect, and problem solving with the community. All members of the Police Department have been empowered to be an agent for this partnership and the positive interaction it will bring.